With AHDC support, you can take your career to the next level in the field of health facility design.
The Australian Health Design Council (AHDC) is a not-for-profit, non-government organisation that provides a forum for all professionals involved in the Australian health design sector to share knowledge, develop expertise, foster research, and enhance skills in health facility planning, design, and management across both the private and public sectors.
Applications are now closed and will be reopened in May 2023.
Australian Health Design Council is delighted to announce the award of our 2022 Design for Health Scholarship to Katharina Nieberler-Walker for her PhD studies on the topic of Therapeutic Hospital Gardens.
The AHDC Design Research Scholarships are intended for architect-researchers, health facility planners, and other design professionals with an interest in health facility design. This will provide career opportunities, advance the design evidence base within the field, and be a catalyst for knowledge sharing within the health facility design community. AHDC is committed to:
- Promoting high quality, efficient, effective, and safe health facility design that responds to the needs of the Australian populace and in doing so, respects the rights and requirements of patients, the health workforce, the community in a sustainable natural/built environment;
- Facilitating the exchange of feedback and comments provided by health facility design professionals to the designated bodies on the Australian health strategies, processes, procedures, and design guidelines;
- Evaluating and encouraging innovation in health facility design, and dissemination of the results for feedback, debate, and improved performance;
- Supporting training and education in health facility design to ensure the long-term sustainability of the industry;
- Providing an expert voice for health design professions in dealing with government and other policymakers regarding matters that affect the design or delivery of high-quality healthcare facilities;
- Aligning with other agencies in the sector to share knowledge, understand goals and objectives to improve health facility design and procurement; and
- Bringing together health design professionals for networking and knowledge sharing purposes.
The AHDC Research Scholarship is a $5,000 per year grant to a PhD (or equivalent doctoral studies) candidate, or a one-off grant of $5,000 to a Research Masters student studying within a design faculty or health service management course offering the opportunity to specialise in the field of health facility design. Each grant will provide valuable financial aid for high-performing research students to further their research project and disseminate knowledge within the health facility design community.
- PhD (or equivalent) candidates will receive funding over a maximum of three (3) years, totaling $15,000, paid in annual installments of $5,000.
- Successful Masters students will receive a one-off $5,000 grant.
Who can apply?
Applicants for scholarships must be enrolled as Higher Degree Research students at an Australian university, either as PhD candidates or master’s students. Additional weighting is given to applicants who are architects/designers/health facility planners, and current financial members of AHDC. Preference will be given to Australian or New Zealand residents and citizens.
How can it be used?
The Scholarship provides top-up funding for Higher Degree Research students undertaking thesis projects related to health facility design.
When can I apply?
Scholarships are awarded annually, with applications accepted during April-May. Successful applicants will be notified within one month of applications closing. Late applications will not be considered.
Application form and all supporting information to be submitted via email as a single Adobe PDF document. Ensure the document is less than 10MB.
- Email: email@example.com
- Subject: ‘AHDC Research Scholarship’
For full eligibility, selection criteria, and scholarship rules, download a copy of the 2022 AHDC Research Scholarship Guidelines. If you’ve read the Guidelines and have further questions, please contact AHDC Research Chair on the email address above.